Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

New Joe Jonas interview


Joe Jonas is a member of the multi-platinum selling award winning band, The Jonas Brothers. He began his career as a performer at an early age appearing on Broadway in the acclaimed production of La Boheme. Since then, Joe and his brothers have gone on to sell over 8 million albums worldwide and have performed to sold-out stadiums and arenas across three continents. Now EX- Jo Bro, Joe Jonas seems more then ready to release his debut-solo effort Fast Life this September. With an urban-pop single “See No More”, co penned by Chris Brown, Joe is finally ready to let you into his own world.


Joe Jonas: Hows it going man?

Kazemi: Its going good, you?

Joe: Everything is good, over here in England.. Just working away!

Kazemi: The new single “See No More” was co-written by Chris Brown, how did. the collaboration happen?

Joe: It was really cool! Chris and I started hanging out in the studio, chilling and listening to each-others music and at some point we both realized that it would be a really cool idea to work together.


Kazemi: Did the song match up with both of your ideas when writing the concept?

Joe: We wrote the song in two hours, it was a really quick turnaround. The song was inspired by our personal experiences. Its about the end of a relationship for me and I wanted to write something honest about what I was going through. It’s about the period after a relationship where any and everything is reminding you of that person, it all ends up right there in your face. [Laughs]

Kazemi: [Laughs] What rapper would you love to hear on a “See No More” (Remix) ?

Joe: Oh man, I’d love to hear someone like Kanye West or Andre 3000. That would be insane, maybe even both on one track.

Kazemi: Do you think this is a new beginning for your creativity and visions as a musician? A rebirth?

Joe: I really think so, I’ve been writing music that is a bit different from the Jonas Brothers stuff and letting the listeners have something new. Hopefully, Fast Life showcases that.

Kazemi: The record Fast Life has a cohesive sound of mixed minimalist R&B with hi-fi pop, while putting this record together were you inspired by the atmosphere of clubs and the whole concept behind a DJ dropping your song?

Joe: Absolutely… I actually started to go out with friends in LA to go explore the DJ scene to see what they were up to. I went to a few festivals to see what kind. of stuff they were coming up with. I love the sounds of people like Swedish House Mafia, Deadmau5, and Tiesto. I wanted to be able to make an album that you can hear in a club, you can dance too, and have a good time with. Hopefully people will be able to relate with the lyrics.

Kazemi: Would you want the new tracks to have appeal from avid dance/electronica listeners?

Joe: Absolutely, I’d actually love to hear what they think about the music. Hopefully that crowd/scene is into it. I’d love to see DJs/remixers to re mix some songs on the album, put their interperation into it. I think that’d be really cool.

Kazemi: Who do you listen to more Justice or Daft Punk?

Joe: Oh wow! Justice is pretty awesome, I’ve been listening to their new stuff, its great, but Daft Punk is always classic and will always be one of my favorites.

Kazemi: Any favorite classic pop contemporaries?

Joe: Right now, I love Tinie Tempah, I think he is awesome. Kanye’s amazing, I think he’s one of those artists who can re-invent and innovative a new sound every new album. There are a couple artists on my Ipod, that I’m always catching myself listen to. I love Keane, I think they are awesome and I love their first record. I also really like this band called The Temper Trap.

Kazemi: During early sessions of putting this record together, did you ever find yourself experimenting with genres or was the sound always headed for a dance edge? Did it take some time in figuring out itself?

Joe: It took a while for me to figure out what sound I wanted on the album. Definitely took more than a year in figuring it out, it was very Michael Buble esque in the beginning…

Kazemi: [Laughs]

Joe: [Laughs] Well, over the past year everything kinda changed especially the music I listened to. I was finally able to write closer to what I was inspired by and I hope people will enjoy the sound that I finalized and enjoy the record!

Kazemi: How many hours a day would you spend in the studio working on the music?

Joe: I’ve been in the studio, almost from any break I had from touring.. My recording schedule was from 4pm to 4am. I basically lived in the studio, I’d sleep till 1PM, go work out, then head right back to the studio. A long ordeal but it was fun and worth it.

Kazemi: At different times of the day, did you find yourself writing about different topics? Example: “Love Slayer” was written at night?

Joe: The majority songs were written during the night, including “Love Slayer”. There is even darker songs then “Love Slayer” on the record that I wanted to go with just because it’s healthy to be in a different place sometimes, a time to have a free range and be able to create. Rob Knox, Danja, and Brian Kennedy were all producers that were bringing different sounds to life. Total night owls, they were creative when it came to PM.


Kazemi: Did any producer particularly make the sound you wanted in your head, come to life. Were any sessions preferred, more intense then others?

Joe: Sessions with Chris Brown, Danja, and Rob were really fun. I mean, every session was unique for different reasons. Danja and I took some time hanging out, to get to know each other before we dove into making the music. Then we have me and Rob who connected right away, everything is different. It’s actually kind of interesting when you think about it.

Kazemi: Were you heavily involved or “OCD” in a sense when it came to crafting each song?

Joe: I always like to be able to try new things musically… Everything from top to bottom was approved by me. Production, songwriting.. I wanted it to be perfect in my eyes. Sometimes it will be an hour worth of working, others it will be days being intricate with every chord, every lyric. I’m usually really hard on myself, then everyone else.

Kazemi: Was their any particular song after listening to all the cut tracks on playback, that you decided it was your favorite?

Joe: I’m really proud of a song I did called “I’m Sorry”, I mean its one of the slower songs, but its a very honest song about how I was the one who ended things a little early in a relationship. It is kind of my apology song.

Kazemi: What other subjects do you take on, on this record?

Joe: The good and bad from relationships, going out and having fun with your friends, and exploring and becoming my own point of view a part from my brothers.


Kazemi: Could the lyrics be a documentation of your growth and how you’ve changed as an artist?

Joe: Everything is more mature, especially the personal topics. As the fans grow up, they will hopefully be able to relate to things I’m going through.

Kazemi: How do you aim to challenge the wider audiences perception of a Joe Jonas record?

Joe: I’m going to just try to let the music speak for itself. The audience can determine if they are into it or not. I’ve been realizing that a lot of older-crowds could get into it, making it something they could listen too, that is really cool to see.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...